Saturday 25 April 2020

Not Too Bad At All

Another weekend visit to Priors Hall today where I enjoyed one of my better days of the Spring so far. While the day began with cloudy skies the sun managed to burn its way through them to reveal the now almost usual blue.

Priors view and Barn Owl.

Not much was seen on the way as I concentrated on getting there as quickly as possible. On arrival I was greeted by my first Garden Warblers of the year, at least one more was heard later. Best bird of the day though was a Barn Owl that gave me a chance to photograph it. Sadly my dire fieldcraft skills led to me flushing the bird just as a newly arrived Alan Shorrock appeared - oops, sorry Alan. Of the other birds noted on site it was my first Reed Warblers of the year that took the plaudits, at least three were singing.

Dingy and Grizzled Skippers

With clear skies by now the order of the day butterflies began to show and the first was a pristine Grizzled Skipper. This was followed by my first Red Admiral of the year which loitered long enough to give me some decent views. Speckled Woods had increased since my last visit with at least ten showing. Highlight amongst the butterflies seen today were ten plus Dingy Skippers which were another year first. I'd have to check my records but I'm not entirely sure whether I've seen April ones before. The hattrick of Spring crackers was completed by two Green Hairstreaks. Other species recorded today were Orange-tip, Large White, Brimstone, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and a lot of UIW's.

Red Admiral and Green Hairstreak

Good numbers of Large Red Damselflies continue to emerge with at least twenty five being seen. Much as I like Large Reds it was another damsel that stole their thunder with my first Azure Damselfly posing long enough for some record shots. Northants seems to be doing pretty well so far with five species having been recorded this year.

Large Red and Azure Damselflies.

Not a lot of other wildlife was seen apart from a Brown Hare which I saw as I was beginning to make my way home - if only all days could be as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment