Friday 24 April 2020

Into the Valley

I took one of my longer walks today to Gretton Weir in the Welland Valley just for the chance to see some different scenery. Although I was out for longer than the recommended hour I did  stick rigidly to the social distancing restrictions whilst out and about. My stroll took me through Willowbrook Industrial Estate, Brookfield Plantation and then across fields before rejoining the road for the last bit.

Views of the Welland Valley

Whitethroats are now well established and many were heard singing their scratchy songs from hedgerows as I walked. A minimum of six Lesser Whitethroats were heard too and these included at least two in the industrial estate. Brookfield provided further Raven sightings and also a Peregrine while a Buzzard added to an almost Welsh feeling to the birding. Near the flooded quarry I watched eighteen kites and buzzards spiralling upwards on a thermal, these warm Spring days certainly seem to suit them. My birding highlights today were both seen within seconds of each other near Gretton Weir and they were a Cuckoo and a Yellow Wagtail.

Record shot Welland Large Red with an even larger Red above!

While walking through Brookfield I found three Large Red Damselflies, two were in hawthorns and didn't settle while another found a nettle leaf to its liking. Gretton Weir had four more and these were my first individuals emerging from running water. Most were up, up and away like little Supermen but one allowed a brief record shot before disappearing upwards.

Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

No new butterflies seen today though it was good to see at least ten Small Tortoiseshells as their numbers had appeared to be dropping. Plenty of Peacocks too though they were outnumbered by Orange-tips. Other whites noted today were Green-veined and Large and also Brimstone. Lots of Speckled Woods were seen in Brookfield with perhaps as many as thirty being seen.

Male Orange-tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment