Tuesday 21 April 2020

Still Strolling

I ventured down to Weldon for my exercise walk today taking a brief detour on the way home to the area near the STW. Nothing new to report though I saw enough to make my wander enjoyable.

Goldfinch.

Plenty of Orange-tips were on the wing with the path that runs alongside the steelworks proving to be very good for them. Around the village I saw a Speckled Wood, a Peacock and a few UIW's. As the area around the pond was quiet today with no other visitors I decided to walk along the shore and look for damsels. My efforts were rewarded with the sighting of 4 tenerals making their first flights, it's the forth site that I've recorded them at this year.

Female (top) and male Large Red Damselflies.

Stopping briefly at the STW I enjoyed good views of a Grey Wagtail at the stream, there had been one in the village earlier this morning. A Green Hairstreak was the best of the butterflies though the blustery conditions were not ideal for them. Despite the breeze I did manage to add a Comma, several Brimstones and a Green-veined White to my list.

Green Hairstreak and Grey Wagtail.

My local Magpies are still present in the neighbouring garden but they're now much quieter and I suspect that incubation will start soon if it hasn't already. I must say that the new quieter version are far more agreeable neighbours than they were though any passerines nesting nearby might not agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment