Thursday 16 April 2020

Camera Dodging Damsels

My daily exercise regime took me once again to the deserted rides of Brookfield Plantation in Corby where I enjoyed a tranquil stroll along the public footpath. Not too many birds to report though the local pair of Ravens were fairly vocal and attracted the unwelcome attention of Carrion Crows on several occasions.

Speckled Woods

For the second day running I was lucky enough to catch sight of Large Red Damselflies, two on this occasion. As was the case with yesterday's sighting I didn't manage to get a picture as both chose to escape vertically when disturbed before disappearing into the upper branches of hawthorns. With no risk of anyone else appearing I spent quite a lot of time walking up and down the ride hoping to get more sustained views but sadly drew a blank. I'm confident that as the season progresses I should be able to get a picture of Large Reds but for the minute they're almost as elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel!

Orange-tip and Green-veined White.

Today was a very good day for Speckled Woods with perhaps as many as twenty being seen. It hasn't taken long for these aggressive butterflies to conform to habit and I saw several twirling battles between sparring males. Other species too came in for a bit of aggro as well with several passing whites get some unwelcome attention. On the subject of whites with the three smaller species now on the wing it's getter harder to identify distant individuals and many have to be passed off as UIW's. That being said there were confirmed sightings of Small and Green-veined Whites as well as Orange-tips. The other species noted today were Brimstone (4) and Peacock (5).

Brookfield view.

No comments:

Post a Comment