Wednesday 15 April 2020

Reddy to Go

Today's exercise walk took me along to Weldon with a little diversion to the STW as I passed to see whether yesterday's Nightingale was still about. Unfortunately I couldn't relocate the bird and in fact I failed to find any birds of note at all during my stroll.

Mr and Ms Orange-tip

With the weather continuing to be warm and sunny it was initially butterflies that provided the interest. Several Large Whites, my first of the year, were noted but I couldn't get a photo as they were far too active. A little more obliging were some of the many Orange-tips (ca20) and I also saw my first females of the season. Other whites recorded today were a trio each of Small and Green-veined Whites and a quartet of Brimstones. The daily roll call was completed by a Comma, a couple of Small Tortoiseshells and four or five Peacocks.

Small and Green-veined Whites

I'd hoped to see an early Large Red Damselfly at Weldon but the volume of people doing their exercise walk around the pond meant that I couldn't hang around to check thoroughly enough and had to move on. All was not lost however as thankfully a single male was seen briefly near to the STW and while I couldn't get a picture before it disappeared it was great to see. This beats my previous earliest date for this species by four days and I spent several minutes trying to find it again though without success. Having been out for a little longer than the recommended time of an hour I headed off for home, I'm sure there will be more Large Reds in the not too distant future.

Comma and Brimstone

No comments:

Post a Comment