Monday 20 April 2020

More Damsel Action

For today's exercise walk I opted to return to Brookfield Plantation in Corby hoping that the trees might provide some shelter from a brisk easterly breeze. In those sheltered spots it was pleasantly warm and the woodland rides were full of hoverflies and other insects.

Speckled Wood

Few birds to report other than a Raven, this is becoming quite a reliable spot for them. One other snippet of bird news is the possibility that Lesser Black-backed Gulls are breeding in the town, last year I suspected that they might be on Asda's roof and there seems to be adults summering around there this year as well.

Green Longhorn moths

Lots of Orange-tips were seen today with smaller numbers of the other whites too. At least three Large Whites were flitting up and down the rides but none settled and I'm still looking for my first pic of the year. Speckled Woods were well represented with a double figure count while the other species noted today were Peacock and Brimstone. I don't often get to mention moths on my blog but today I saw my first ever Green Longhorn moths, these are dainty micro moths with a graceful dancing flight and very long antennae.

Large Red Damselfly.

On my last visit I was lucky enough to find two Large Red Damselflies and today I managed to find several more. Unlike on my last visit however one settled down long enough for me to get a picture. These records and the ones from Thursday are my first ever sightings in the plantation so being confined to my local area is turning out to be not necessarily such a bad thing.  The only other bit of wildlife news for today was the presence of a small group of Fallow Deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment