Saturday 1 June 2024

Wood Warbler Revisited

 Today began cold and grey and I left the house hoping that the weather forecasters had got it wrong again and things would improve as the morning wore on. Sadly they were right and consequently my walk around Harry's Park Wood was a little dull, I may well pop back tomorrow.

Wood Warbler and Yellowhammer



Things started well enough as the Wood Warbler that Shozzer found on our previous visit was still there and performing well. Judging from the trampled state of the vegetation it looks as if the bird has been attracting quite a few admirers during its stay. Other birds of note included male and female Cuckoos, a good selection of other warblers that included Lesser Whitethroat and a day hooting Tawny Owl. With the weather being so duff it was perhaps no surprise that few insects were noted and the only butterfly that I saw was Speckled Wood, at least ten were seen. Odes fared even worse with just a single Azure Damselfly seen at the end of Bears Lane. The weather is apparently going to improve tomorrow so I'm hoping for an improvement in my insect watching fortunes.

Speckled Wood and Azure Damselfly.



No comments:

Post a Comment