Tuesday 25 June 2024

More Twitching

 Regular twitching pal Alan Shorrock and I were at it again this afternoon when we headed along to Pitsford after I'd finished work. Today's target was a Lesser Emperor spotted last week near the boat jetty beneath the fishing lodge by the county recorder. With the weather finally delivering some warm and sunny conditions I was quite optimistic about our chances.

Emperors and Beautiful Demoiselle



From the shoreline near the jetty we saw several Emperors and lots of Common Blue and Red-eyed Damselflies. From a little closer to the causeway a possible candidate was seen but the light wasn't helpful and we couldn't get any conclusive views. We decided to move on and check a little more of the reserve before returning later. Shozzer found an Osprey that attracted some unwanted attention from the local Common Terns, the other bird of note was a Kingfisher. Butterflies are slowly increasing with the species on the wing being Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood and Large Skipper. Several Scarlet Tiger moths were seen but I didn't get any pics of this attractive species. Top odes in this part of the reserve were the several Beautiful Demoiselles that we encountered, I'm having a good year so far for this species.

Speckled Wood and Large Skipper



Returning to the area near the jetty we found our possible Lesser Emperor again and this time got better views. I saw enough to be happy with the identification and managed to take a fairly awful record shot which I think supports the I.D. This is only my second Northants (and UK) Lesser Emperor following another at Pitsford several years ago. We left soon after having had a third successful twitch in a row, I hope the run continues!

Lesser Emperor


No comments:

Post a Comment