Sunday 30 June 2024

Normal Summer 2024 Service Has Resumed

 The weather returned to its mediocre norm this morning as grey skies and a stiff breeze dominated proceedings though on the plus side it did stay dry. I only had limited time available and so chose to visit Brookfield Plantation and parts of the neighbouring Willowbrook Industrial Estate. It was not my most interesting wildlife watching experience of late though it was by no means the worse either.

Peregrine and Fallow Deer



Both of my local Peregrines were present and correct at their usual spot, I don't think they've bred this year but I may yet be proved wrong. At Brookfield Marsh Tits and Nuthatches were the best birds, there were several small parties of both. Not surprisingly odes were in short supply with just a single Azure Damselfly showing. A Fallow Deer provided some mammalian interest while butterflies were represented by three species of brown. Commonest were Ringlets though Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites also showed in good numbers.

Marbled White and Common Blue Damselfly



At Willowbrook the same three species of browns dominated but they were joined by a trio of Small Heaths and a Small Skipper. Somewhat embarrassingly I didn't actually see the skipper at the time, it was only when I reviewed my pictures of a Small Heath that I saw the skipper. I'll have to pop back when it's a little sunnier when perhaps I can add to the single Common Blue Damselfly that I saw too. 

Pair of smalls, Heath and Skipper


No comments:

Post a Comment