Sunday 26 May 2024

Not A Wash Out

 This morning's weather had more than a hint of the traditional Bank Holiday feel to it being a rather grey affair with occasional heavy showers interspersed with the odd spell of sunshine. I was limited by time constraints to what I could do and headed over to Barnwell where I hoped the hides would offer shelter if the heavens opened. The park was much quieter than usual, it seemed most people were waiting to see if the weather was going to improve or not.


Dunnock, Oystercatcher and Blue Tit



I had several brief glimpses of Kingfishers as I walked around the park but none settled. A family of Mandarins was also noted but the nervous mother kept her brood in the waterside vegetation, Barnwell's becoming one of the best places to see this species in summer. Both male and female Cuckoos were heard in the park and also along the river where a pair of Oystercatchers are still present. Conditions were for the most part rather insect unfriendly but the nettle beds at Barnwell and in the wider area did yield some ode sightings. At least three Scarce Chasers, my first of the year, were seen between Herne Road and the river where two Hairy Dragonflies were also noted. There were no surprises amongst the damsels with just five of the commoner species on view.

Scarce Chaser, Hairy Dragonfly and Red-eyed Damselfly




At first there was no sigh of any butterflies but as the morning progressed the sun emerged and a few things began to stir. A male Brimstone was first and he posed quite nicely as he nectared on thistle. Next a white flew past but was too quick for me to identify, a Small Heath posed fewer problems. There was a Speckled Wood too but the highlight had to be my first Large Skipper of the year. My first sighting was frustratingly brief but it did eventually settle long enough for me to get a pic. By now the weather was looking promising but chores and a lunch date meant that I had to head back into town to catch my bus home.


Large Skipper, Woundwort Shield Bugs and Brimstone.



No comments:

Post a Comment