Wednesday 30 December 2020

Harry's Hordes

 Today I fancied a walk in the woods and narrowed my choice down to either Kingswood or Harry's Park. Given that the kids are still on holiday and quite a few people are still off work I decided that Kingswood might be a bit too busy for wildlife watching and so took the other option. In retrospect I think that I may have made the wrong decision because Harry's Park was very busy indeed!

A quiet walk in the woods? Not today!


As more and more green spaces are lost to development the pressure on those that remain grow with each passing year. More and more people seem to want to spend their time outdoors which means that it's getting increasingly hard to find quiet places in which to watch wildlife. Harry's Park used to be fairly undisturbed but on today's evidence those days are firmly in the past. A procession of joggers, dog walkers, hikers, horse riders and cyclists (as well as at least one birder of course!) made their way through the wood which made birding something of a challenge. Needless to say I struggled to find anything of interest and it could be a while before I visit again.

Yellowhammer and Jay



A Grey Wagtail was noted in Weldon as I walked through while Bears Lane had a small flock of Yellowhammers and a Redpoll. In the wood itself several small groups of Siskin put in an appearance and that as they say was that as far as anything noteworthy went. Tomorrow I may well head back to those paths less well travelled - fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment