Tuesday 29 December 2020

First Snow

 A dull and dreary day with poor light quality until the last hour or so when the sun made the briefest of appearances. It was most notable for the first snow fall of the winter so far which thankfully didn't settle. I put in quite a few miles though rewards were scant and I can't claim that it was my most interesting day out.

Harringworth.


Beginning at Harringworth I checked the floods on either side of the village though those on the Wakerley were for the most part in Rutland. Several hundred Wigeon were present on this stretch of the flood though I couldn't find much else. In flooded willows a Chiffchaff was calling making this the fourth site this month where I've seen this species while a Redpoll flew over. Leaving the valley behind I made my way up towards Spanhoe Quarry, the sight of eight Egyptian Geese flying towards Rutland during a snow shower seemed rather incongruous!

Harringworth Lodge Lake


My arrival at the quarry coincided with the heaviest snow of the day and I struggled to see much. Another Redpoll passed overhead and so too did a Little Egret while a pair of Marsh Tits were also noted. Whilst walking towards Harringworth Lodge I heard a Raven croaking over a nearby wood, these early nesters are already displaying. Once again the lake was quiet with just four Gadwalls swimming on the gravy coloured water though a Water Rail was heard calling. Very little of note from then onwards until I saw a Peregrine once I'd arrived back in Corby.

No comments:

Post a Comment