Tuesday 24 October 2023

Welland Valley Walk

 Not wanting to put my trust in Stagecoach and their timefable again so soon after yesterday's experience I decided instead to take a walk along part of the Welland Valley. My route took me down Rockingham Hill and along almost as far as Gretton before I took the public footpath up to Brookfield Plantation and home. Today's weather was mild but overcast with the occasional light rain shower to contend with.

Grey Wagtail and Stonechat



Much of the flood water has already drained away so the valley itself was a little on the quiet side. A Grey Wagtail graced the small sewage treatment works near Rockingham and other passerines included Siskin, Redwing and Fieldfare. Plenty of gulls, mostly Common and Black-headed were moving along the valley and there were a few Wigeon on the remaining pools of water. Having left the road I began my walk up towards Brookfield and was pleased to find a Stonechat. A pair of Ravens croaked as they flew past, this is a regular spot for them nowadays. There were a number of buntings and finches feeding in the fields and both Meadow Pipits and Skylarks were active too. Brookfield was quiet other than a Fallow Deer and both of the commoner woodpeckers but at least my stress levels remained low!

Red Kite and Yellowhammer



No comments:

Post a Comment