Sunday 22 October 2023

Rutland's Rockin'

 A fourth visit to Rutland in as many days, if I keep this up I may have to change the name of the blog! Today's destination was not Eyebrook however but its larger neighbour Rutland Water. Although Alan Shorrock and I had no specific targets in mind we were hoping to find a few decent birds. Setting off in good weather certainly made a change from my last couple of days and it was good to reacquaint myself with the sun.

Rock Pipits




We began at the dam from where I saw my first Goosanders of the Autumn, there was a close bird at our end of the dam and about half a dozen more on the other side. Checking through the other wildfowl did not produce too much of interest and we set off towards Normanton church. It didn't take long before I found a Rock Pipit on the shoreline and Alan, I and another birder enjoyed some half decent views. While watching this bird a second joined it and we were treated to the sight of two Rock Pipits picking their way amongst the rocks. It was at this point that news came through of a Red-breasted Merganser being seen with the Goosanders on the opposite shore. We decided that seeing this merg would be a good idea and so set off across the dam to check it out.

Scaup




There was not a great deal of birdlife to entertain us as we trudged the length of the dam other than a few more Goosanders. Continually scoping the roosting sawbills on the other side did not produce any sightings of the merganser though I did spot an immature drake Scaup. We were treated to some good views of this bird which made up for dipping out on the Red-breasted Merg. Deciding that enough was enough we made our way back across the dam and took the return journey to Corby. Not too much in the way of other wildlife was seen other than a Common Darter and a Red Admiral.

Duck selection.




No comments:

Post a Comment