Wednesday 25 October 2023

Ketrin

 I bought a ticket for the Stagecoach lottery today as I fancied having a stroll around Wicksteed Park. My gamble paid off and I arrived at the park pretty much at the time I expected to. Early morning mist had lifted leaving a mostly cloudy situation though the sunshine soon began to peek through as the morning progressed. Half term means that it was fairly busy though most of the folks didn't venture as far as the lakes and my walk was a peaceful one.

Yellow-legged Gull



More Shovellers appear to have arrived since my last visit and Gadwalls have increased too. Diving ducks are still a scarce commodity here with just half a dozen Tufted Ducks on the fishing lake. At least three Cetti's Warblers were singing and I actually got the chance to watch one for a short time as it picked its way through the vegetation. On the main lake a large looking immature Yellow-legged Gull was picked out amongst the smaller Herrings and Lesser Black-backs. Wickies seems to be a pretty reliable site for this species, I often encounter one or two here. Other decent birds included Siskins and Redpolls and there were a few Redwings as well.




Once I'd finished at Wicksteed I decided to pay a call on the local Peregrines. With the sun now out viewing conditions were excellent and I was treated to good views of both birds. One was perched fairly low down and I was able to get a couple of decent pictures. Happy with my morning's results I wandered along to the bus stop for my journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment