Friday 27 October 2023

Misty Morning

 Mist and mizzle greeted me on my arrival at Lower Benefield this morning as I set out for a walk towards Deene Lake. My stroll took me towards Deenethorpe along the minor road until I took the bridleway near Burnt Coppice. I didn't see too much at the beginning of my stroll apart from a Redpoll, a few Yellowhammers and Linnets while there were plenty of Pheasants and Partridges too.  When I reached the barns I took the footpath up towards Deene Lake noting Fieldfares and Redwings as I walked.

Fieldfare and Yellowhammer



There are a few derelict buildings viewable from this footpath and it was from one of these that a Barn Owl flew though I only managed a brief view before it disappeared. Not that far from here a Crossbill called as it flew overhead and minutes later a Brambling was noted too. On the edge of a field I found a male Stonechat, my second county one of the week, though it was quite distant. A Little Egret seemed slightly incongruous as it flew past while the fields around me seemed to be alive with Skylarks. It had been getting sunny by this point but by the time I arrived at Deene Lake the mist had descended again.

Great White Egret and Stonechat



I couldn't see much on the main lake due to the poor visibility while at the inflow a Great White Egret was the highlight. Deenethorpe Airfield played host to a flock of about twenty five Lapwings and I heard both Redpolls and Siskins passing overhead. Yet another Stonechat was noted here and this was the last interesting bird that I saw on my walk before I got back to Weldon. Not much in the way of other wildlife was seen other than a Brown hare.

No comments:

Post a Comment