Sunday 30 January 2022

At Least I Got Some Exercise!

 A beautiful and crisp morning with the frost spangled grass glistening in the sunshine as |I left the house this morning. My travels began at the bus stop before carrying on to Weldon from where I walked to Deene Lake and back. Not too much in the way of interest to report but it was great to get out and have a look around.

Brown Hare and aeronauts.



Strolling along the A43 produced some good views of a Brown Hare grazing in one of the nearby fields, needless to say it shot off pretty sharpish when it caught sight of me! Deenethorpe airfield was a bit lacking in decent birds other than the usual Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and I spent much of my time watching the local microlight aircraft doing circuits and bumps. Deene Lake inflow was quieter than on my last visit though Snipe numbers had risen to five while there were still a few Siskins and a Treecreeper there. Similarly the main lake was a bit dull with just four Shelducks on view today. At the weir a Grey Wagtail showed well if briefly before flying off down the brook. The farm ponds were playing host to the White-cheeked Pintail in company with some Mallards, it may be a fence hopper but it's an attractive bird all the same.

Deene scenes




Kirby Lane was on the dull side though I did see a herd of about twelve Fallow Deer near the Horizon Centre. My efforts at Willowbrook Industrial estate were thwarted by some motorcycles racing around and no doubt putting any self respecting bird to flight. Needless to say I made a swift exit and headed along to the A43 pond at Weldon where things remained much as they did on Thursday though Gadwall numbers are building and there was also several Siskins in waterside trees.


White-cheeked Pintail, sunset and Siskin.



No comments:

Post a Comment