Sunday 9 January 2022

Great Start

 When my brother offered me the chance to go and see the long staying Black Redstart at Borough Hill, Daventry I jumped at the opportunity. After yesterday's rainy dross I was glad to get out and a beautiful sunrise did much to lift my mood. My shift pattern at work has changed slightly so that I now have to work Monday to Friday and it was good to end the weekend on a high.

Sunrise over Borough Hill


We arrived just as the sun was rising and began checking the area around the compound where the bird has been favouring. Initially things were a little on the quiet side leaving me to rue the fact that I'd forgotten my gloves as the chilly conditions made themselves felt. Another pair of birders appeared and they alerted us to the presence of the bird. It was feeding very actively and proved quite difficult to photograph though we were treated to great views through the binoculars. Eventually the bird disappeared and David and I began the short walk back to the car. The Black Redstart then chose to put in another performance and we had exceptional views as it perched on the top of buildings within the compound. Once the bird had moved on we opted to do the same and headed back to the carpark.

Black Redstart.




My brother had other things to do but was good enough to drop me off at the foot of Rockingham Hill from where I walked along the Welland Valley towards Gretton. Sadly for me the valley remains dry and it was a far from interesting walk with just a single sinensis race Cormorant to show for my efforts. Leaving the valley I took the public footpath up towards Brookfield Plantation and it was near the wood where I heard and then saw a Raven. In the plantation itself I was treated to a good selection of woodland species that included Marsh Tit, Siskin and Treecreeper. Having left the wood I popped in to check on our local Peregrines and was rewarded with views of the male - a nice note on which to end the day.

Peregrine


No comments:

Post a Comment