Friday 14 January 2022

Yankee Doodle or Yankee Do-Do?

 A welcome day off work saw me donning the mask and getting on the X4 for a jaunt down to Wellingborough. Weather forecasts suggested that mist might be an issue but I kept my fingers crossed and went anyway. Feeling in something of an optimistic mood I was hoping that I might catch up with a Glossy Ibis or Cattle Egret - sad to say I did not!

Stonechat and Reed Bunting



The dreaded mist was indeed a bit of a problem to begin with as I began my walk along the river. A Grey Wagtail did an overhead pass as I made my way past the large flock of Mute Swans. Slightly further along and a Redpoll got into the flypast game before I stumbled across a male Stonechat. Trying to see anything on Chester House lake proved to be difficult though I did pick out a male Goldeneye while the whistles of both Wigeon and Teal could be heard. Beyond the viaduct and Ditchford was just as foggy though I sensed that things were beginning to clear a little. Just discernible through the mist a drake Goosander was a welcome find, closer inspection revealed that he had a duck for company. A Great White Egret was also just about visible before it flew off, rapidly clearing conditions allowed me to find a second bird on the viaduct pit. Also present were a good selection of the commoner wildfowl.

Goosanders



Returning along the river with visibility much improved allowed me to check the area more thoroughly. Small numbers of duck included several Shovellers amongst them but little else of note. Back in the town I found the female Wood Duck that has returned to the area. While it's not impossible that these common ducks of eastern North America could cross the Atlantic the vast bulk of records are presumed to involve escaped or feral birds. This individual is considered to be in the latter camp so there was no chance of adding this to my county list. Oh well it is an attractive duck even if it's not a wild one so I enjoyed watching it for a few minutes before heading into town for some breakfast.

GWE's, Dabchick and Moorhen and Wood Duck





No comments:

Post a Comment