Saturday 22 January 2022

Pintail Pair

 The county had my undivided attention today as I walked from Upper Benefield to Weldon via Deene. I was rewarded for my loyalty with sunny if cold conditions and a decent selection of winter birds to enjoy.

Sunrise at Benefield and Brown Hares.



From the lane between Benefield and Burnt Coppice I had good views of four Brown Hares though on seeing me they had the good sense to speed off. There were plenty of the commoner bird species on view with Yellowhammers in particular putting in a good shift. Two Golden Plovers called as they took off from one of the fields, a third was heard a little later on. Also heard was a Raven near Burnt Coppice which turned out to be the first of two as a second was seen near Deene a short while later.

Yellowhammer and Red Kite.



Arriving at Deene I was a little surprised to find a White-cheeked Pintail on the stream, I managed a few pics before it swam off in the company of some Mallards. Although this unringed bird was undoubtedly an escape it was still worth having a look at, it could be a while before I see them in their native haunts. Of more interest was a drake Pintail on the main lake which was my first at this site. Keeping it company were twelve Shelducks and a good selection of other wildfowl including about ten Pochards. From the inflow I saw a Green sandpiper and three Snipe as well as good numbers of Teal.

White-cheeked Pintail, Green Sandpiper and Snipe.




Walking along Kirby Lane is often a little dull but today it turned out to be OK. A scan of one of the fields revealed thirty five more Golden Plovers and about fifty Lapwings feeding. Near the Horizon Centre a male Stonechat showed briefly, it may well be one of the birds from nearby Willowbrook Industrial Estate. My final stop was at the partially frozen A43 pond at Weldon where only a few Gadwalls, Coots and Mallards were present.

Golden Plovers with lapwings and Stonechat.



No comments:

Post a Comment