Tuesday 1 February 2022

Blustery

 Another prework stroll this morning saw me making the short trip to the area near the STW. Blustery conditions seemed to suit the local kites and corvids though other species were hunkered down to some degree. Once again it was far from being one of my most interesting days but I still enjoyed it for the most part though it was not without a hint of sadness.

Greenfinches and Cormorant



A Kestrel caused a little tremor of alarm as it made a low pass over the area, a small flock of Redwings being among the ranks of the worried. Typically brief views of a Kingfisher were obtained as it shot off down the stream while a high flying Cormorant was quite a good record for the site. Siskins were once again present in the general area and were one of five species of finch encountered. On my way out of the place I came across a Rabbit suffering from myxomatosis, it was horrible to see the wretched creature almost blinded by its condition and sitting in the middle of the path. It may well have been more humane had I ended its suffering but I just don't have it in me. Instead I ushered it into cover where it might stand a better chance of survival even if just for the short term. Leaving on such a sad note would not have been great though my spirits were lifted somewhat by a flyover Grey Wagtail.

Grey Squirrel and unfortunate Rabbit



On a different note at work this afternoon I was a little surprised to see a bat hunting around the warehouse. A sure reflection of the mild conditions we've been experiencing of late perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment