Thursday 27 January 2022

Drizzly But Not Dull

 Another pre work session which involved taking a bus to Willowbrook Industrial Estate before heading home via Weldon. Sadly I didn't check the weather forecast before I left so was a little surprised when a rather heavy drizzle began to fall. Damp weather aside it turned out to be OK as I caught up with a few regulars as well getting a bit of exercise.

Dozing ducks 1 - Gadwalls


My day began with a Grey Wagtail flying over as I waited for my bus in the Old Village. Arriving at Willowbrook about two minutes before the rain began meant that my camera stayed in my bag for most of my visit. Despite the damp a few Skylarks were bravely venturing skywards to pour out their songs while in contrast the small number of Meadow Pipits were much less exuberant. Joining the regular Reed Buntings today were a number of Yellowhammers which are scarce visitors to the site, over ten were noted. Two Snipe were flushed as I walked around the area and I also found a male Stonechat. A flock of twenty or so Lapwings had dropped in to bathe in one of the larger puddles while a group of loafing gulls were mostly Black-headed.

Dozing ducks 2 - Tufties


Just the usual selection of ducks were noted on the A43 pond at Weldon and there were a few Siskins present in the general area. While walking from the bus stop in the village towards my house a pair of Ravens flew past towards South Wood. One swooped and called several times, Ravens are very early breeders and display often takes place at this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment