Saturday 14 May 2022

Buzzin'

 Glorious sunny weather prompted me to take a trip to Priors Hall where I was hoping to see some decent insects. Butterflies in particular responded to the weather and I was able to add four species to my year list. Dragons and damsels did not feature quite as strongly though the day was not without an ode highlight or two..

Grizzled Skipper, Common Blue, Green hairstreak and Small Heath





Dingy Skippers were the commonest butterfly today and they were joined today by at least four Grizzled Skippers too. At first they didn't appear to want to settle but eventually a couple did and I was able to get some photographs. A similar situation happened with my first Common Blues of the year, initially they were charging about as if supercharged but I did find one that settled for a brief moment. Other firsts for the year were a couple of Green Hairstreaks and five or six Small Heaths. Several day flying moths were on the wing today and these included a Cinnabar and two mint moths. My butterfly list was completed by Brimstone, Small White, Orange-tip, Peacock and Speckled Wood.

Mint moth, Four-spotted Chaser and Large Red Damselflies




Around the ponds my first Four-spotted Chasers of the year were emerging with most heading for nearby tree tops though a few presumably more mature individuals were taking up territories. Another dragon patrolling the ponds was Hairy Dragonfly, most of the ponds had at least one or two in residence. Commonest damsel was Large Red though growing numbers of other species are growing. Azure, Blue-tailed and Common Blue damselflies were all noted.

Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Skylark




There were not too many birds to report other than a male Cuckoo which was heard calling throughout most of my visit. A single Brown Hare added a bit of interest while a swarm of Honey Bees perhaps added rather more than I would have liked! Happily I managed to survive without being stung and made it to the George where a couple of ciders helped to slake my thirst.

Swarm!


No comments:

Post a Comment