Wednesday 4 May 2022

Arctics Roll In

 My brother and I popped over to Thrapston this evening to see whether any Nightingales were about. Unfortunately for us we neither saw nor heard any sign of them despite spending some time in the area that they favoured last year. Highlights were few and far between, there were good numbers of both Sand and House Martins while a variety of warblers were in song. A search of the Town Lake at first revealed very little activity beyond a few Common Terns and Black-headed Gulls and it looked very like it was going to be a wasted visit. Among the non avian highlights were a sighting of Common Toad and a distant view of Brown Hare. Returning to the car a little deflated we had one last look at the water from near the sailing club and came up trumps with six Arctic Terns feeding distantly at the opposite end of the lake. I'm sure these birds had just arrived and it was down to luck that we managed to catch them before we left. My brother heads off to Majorca tomorrow while I face up to the joys of work - I know which one I'd rather do!

Common Toad.


No comments:

Post a Comment