Wednesday 23 March 2022

Further Flutterings

 I fancied a quickie after work but instead settled for a walk around the area near the town's STW (sorry couldn't resist having a Carry On moment!). With plenty of warm sunshine on offer and little wind it seemed a perfect opportunity to look for more butterflies. My efforts met with quite a bit of success as I had good views of three species and was able to witness plenty of behaviour too.

Butterfly selection




Peacock was the first species to show and I saw a total of about six around the site, it was good to finally get some photos of them this year. While many were basking on sunlit surfaces others were defending territory and I saw several pairs of sparring insects spiralling upwards as they twisted around each other trying to establish dominance. A similar number of Small Tortoiseshells were also seen during my stroll but these seemed rather more relaxed than their larger cousins with love rather than war seemingly on the agenda. Rounding off my butterfly list for today was a couple of Commas, while these feisty insects are often to be seen taking on all intruders into their territory the ones today seemed quite calm.

Robin and Chiffchaff



Best bird today was a Kingfisher which stayed true to form by speeding off along the stream as soon as it saw me. Several Chiffchaffs were singing and there was also a small flock of Redwings present to remind me that winter could yet play a part before spring fully takes hold of proceedings.

No comments:

Post a Comment