Sunday 20 March 2022

First Family

 I kept things nice and local today with a walk from Weldon to Deene Lake and back via Deenethorpe Airfield. It was a little cloudier than yesterday but the wind was not as cool making for an enjoyable stroll. No migrants to report other than Chiffchaffs but there were some signs of spring to appreciate.

Raven and Pied Wagtail



The early part of my walk was uneventful until I reached the airfield where a Raven was croaking noisily from a communications mast, I saw it in flight a little later on. It was nice to see a pair of Lapwings on territory, their calls are such a welcome sound at this time of year. The inflow at Deene Lake had high water levels and there was no sign of either sandpipers or snipes though Teal numbers remain healthy. Four drake Shovellers were as beautiful as usual and there were at least eight Shelducks present. A pair of Egyptian Geese at the dam had a family of seven goslings with them, this species really does get started early in the year. I watched them for a while before setting off back in the direction of Weldon from where I caught my bus home. 


Shelducks and Egyptian Goose family.



Highlight among the other wildlife today was a group of up to seven Brown Hares chasing each other round and indulging in a spot of boxing, it's so good to see such a large group of this decreasing species. Another mammal featuring on the day list was Fallow Deer when a herd of about ten were seen near Kirby Lane. A few butterflies were on the wing today, my first couple of sightings were frustratingly brief and inconclusive but I managed to see my first Small Tortoiseshells of the year. While the first was off and away before I could get a pic the second in Weldon was more cooperative. Looking at next week's forecast there may well be other sightings to report in the days to come.

Brown Hares and Small Tortoiseshell



No comments:

Post a Comment