Monday 1 March 2021

Where Did All The Sunshine Go?

 March traditionally comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb or at least that's what some people say. If I was comparing today with an animal I'd suggest an incontinent and unhappy elephant given that it was grey, unpleasantly damp and miserable! After a couple of days of rather taxing walks my aching bones suggested that I keep things within easy distance of my home and so I went no further than Weldon. Thick fog and cold meant that most folks of sound mind would have stayed at home but I'm afraid I have too little free time to fritter my days off watching telly.

Ringed Plovers



My route took me via one of the town's industrial areas where that mist made viewing very difficult at the beginning. I could hear Skylarks rising up into the murk to pour out their lovely song and somewhere up above some Chaffinches passed over. A large flock of Fieldfares contained a white headed Redwing among their number. By the looks of things this seemed to be the result of an unfortunate guano related incident rather than a plumage aberration, I'm guessing its next wash will be a thorough one! Highlight here was a trio of Ringed Plovers though one made only the briefest of stops before disappearing. The other two seemed more content to loiter and I got some sustained if rather distant views. I left the plovers to their business and headed off towards Weldon.

Some Weldon birds....



My only stop in the village was at the A43 pond where a familiar looking cast of characters were on view. Evidently the swans were in a more benign mood today as they tolerated the noisy arrival of two Canada Geese to their domain without an adverse reaction. Far less friendly were the pair of Dabchicks that were attempting to drive a young bird away from their patch and there was much calling filling the air. Other birds on site included both Tufted Ducks and Gadwalls as well as Coots and Moorhens. By now the fog had lifted though by this stage I'd had enough and decided to head home for a much needed cup of tea.

.....and a few more.



No comments:

Post a Comment