Monday 22 March 2021

Ravens Rule

 A brief though beautiful sunny start to the morning sadly gave way to thick cloud and drizzle far more quickly than I would have liked. Fancying a bit of a change from my usual routine I walked over to Harringworth Lodge Lake taking in both Brookfield Plantation and Gretton on the way.

Peregrine and Raven



I began my birding in the village again with a singing Chiffchaff that was the first of five noted today. My next highlight was a sighting of Peregrine at its regular spot though it was somewhat lower down than normal. From here it was on to Brookfield where several small groups of Siskins were present. Both Gadwall and Teal were flushed from the ponds and a Nuthatch was calling noisily. Leaving the plantation I noted a Raven between the wood and the Gretton road. A large number of Common Gulls were passing through with many pausing briefly to feed in sheep fields. I checked each of these fields for any Wheatears but drew a blank though there were plenty of Meadow Pipits going north. Also on the move seemed to be Chaffinches while small flocks of both Redwing and Fieldfare were noted.

Yellowhammer and Linnet



Near Gretton a Snipe called twice as it passed overhead and another Raven croaked nearby. I was to enjoy two further sightings of Ravens during my walk, the reappearance of this species in the county is one of my birding highlights. One of them seemed to be having great fun annoying a pair of kites near the lake and then having evidently grown bored with this activity went on to annoy some Magpies. After a few minutes of sport it took off with a purpose and headed off towards Gretton. The lake was a bit on the dull side as it has been for most of the winter and I didn't hang around for long. My return walk did not produce much beyond a Brown Hare near Gretton and a Grey Wagtail in the Old Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment