Monday 15 March 2021

Dodging Showers

 An almost April like blend of sunshine and showers today made for sometimes challenging viewing conditions so it was perhaps as well that there wasn't much to see! My birding stroll took me to the poochy paradise of East Carlton Park before I headed along the Welland Valley. Although I wouldn't call it one of my most exciting forays out there were at least a few highlights to help justify my exertions.

Buzzard



Very little other than dogs were seen at East Carlton, there was a small flock of Redwings and some Siskins in alders near the ponds. A Mistle Thrush was singing near the hall and its powerful voice was audible even above the bellowing of pooch owners calling their wayward hounds. Leaving the mutt multitudes behind I stopped to enjoy excellent views of a Buzzard catching worms. Given that I was already at the bottom of the valley I decided to visit the river near Cottingham rather than just scoping it from the Rockingham road.

Record shots of Mandarins and Oystercatchers



Happily for me the wave of showers that had helped make my wander around the park far from fun stopped by the time I reached the river. I finally managed to catch up with the pair of Oystercatchers that have been frequenting the area, I got decent though distant views. Also on view was a pair of Mandarin Ducks and a large flock of mainly Common Gulls. Small numbers of Wigeon were still grazing on the banks of the pond and half a dozen Teal were also present. When taking a look at the river I flushed a Green Sandpiper which had the good sense to stay on the Northants side, this part of the county is so close to Leics that you can almost smell the stilton!

Grey Wagtail and Peregrine



Very little was seen from then on until I reached Brookfield Plantation where more Siskins and a Grey Wagtail were noted. About twenty teal were also flushed from one of the ponds and they flew around whistling for several minutes before coming down on one of the other ponds.  My day was finished in what was almost the normal way with the sighting of a Peregrine at its favourite loafing spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment