Sunday 28 February 2021

I've Been To Deene, Not Much Was Seen

 Although it was clear and sunny though rather frosty when I left my house this morning a thick fog had descended by the time I'd reached Willowbrook Industrial Estate making wildlife viewing a tad difficult. Consequently very little was noted here other than singing Skylarks, a Redpoll, a few Meadow Pipits as well as a Grey Wagtail that dropped in next to the pond.

Who needs gorillas in the mist when you've got Coots and Tufties?



Near to the mysterious looking Horizon Centre a large herd of Fallow Deer could just about be made out and I also heard my first Reed Bunting of the year. It or another was seen a little further on giving me some great views. Continuing on down Kirby Lane two Chiffchaffs were in song though it's difficult to know whether these were newly arrived migrants or wintering birds. At Deene the fog was if anything even thicker and it was hard to see the lake never mind any birds! Another singing Reed Bunting was present near the dam, I'd love to know where they've all been hiding up until now. One species that seems to moving through at the moment is Chaffinch, rather a lot were seen and heard today.

Reed Bunting and Chaffinch



By the time I'd made my way around to the inflow the fog had all but lifted and I was finally able to do some bird watching rather than listening. Good numbers of Teal were seen and a single Snipe showed briefly before disappearing into cover. Shelduck numbers had risen to fourteen since my last visit and a pair of Great Crested Grebes were displaying. I returned via the farm ponds before dropping in at Priors Hall. Small numbers of Siskins were present on site and so too was Alan Shorrock who during a socially distanced chat told me that he'd just seen a Raven. Having parted ways after a bit of a catch up I was able to see what was presumably Alan's Raven flying past. Near to the first pond I finally managed to find my first butterfly of the year, a Peacock. It looked as if it might land but in the end didn't so I was unable to get a picture, no doubt there will be other opportunities in the near future.

Teal with Snipe and Robin



While passing the quarry area I went through a large group of gulls to see if anything out of the ordinary was in with them but drew a blank. I did note at least nine Pochards on the lake, pretty impressive given that I haven't seen any at Deene this winter. A flock of about fifty Lapwings were also flying around the area. Nothing else of interest to report from the rest of my walk other than a Grey Wagtail near the STW.

Lapwings


No comments:

Post a Comment