Friday 1 May 2020

There Aint Nothing Like A Dame(sel)

A little more sun than clouds today tempted me out again despite there still being a bit of a risk of getting soaked. Weldon was once again my destination of choice and I managed to visit both the pocket park and the pond at the woodland park without bumping into too many people.

Male Grey Wagtail and female Orange-tip.

Excellent views of a male Grey Wagtail was the only bird news of note, it looks as if we may have several local pairs this year. A few butterflies were also tempted out by the promise of some sunshine but they were all Orange-tips as far as I could tell. That was fine with me though as I love these attractive little butterflies.

Male (top) and female Variable Damselflies.

The pocket park provided me with my first damselflies of the day with two male Banded Demoiselles hiding in the streamside nettles. Another male and my first female of the year were seen a bit further along the stream at the woodland park. Without wishing to dismiss the demoiselles it was the sighting of two year first Variable Damselflies, a male and a female, that stole the show. Weldon has a small but viable population of this county scarcity and with lockdown in place I probably won't catch up with them elsewhere this year. Third species on the list was a male Large Red Damselfly and that was followed by two newly emerged Azure Damselflies. Four species in one day, it looks as if things are kicking off in the world of dragon and damselflies!

Banded Demoiselle, Large Red and Azure Damselflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment