Wednesday 27 May 2020

After Work Dip

My current work pattern means that I have a lot less time after work for going out and I haven't really bothered. Reports and a photograph of a Downy Emerald seen at Priors Hall were all the incentive I needed to break the stay at home habit and pop out and try my luck. Successful county dragonfly twitches and me though are unfortunately unknown, so far it has been a Prozac inducing procession of darter dips and elusive emperors. Sadly I can add another name to that list of shame as neither I nor co searcher Alan Shorrock could see any trace of the exotic visitor.

Scarce and praenubila form of Four-spotted Chasers.

There was a little bit of compensation however as I found a site first Scarce Chaser, a maturing male stayed still long enough for me to record the historic occasion. Whether this is one of the new Welland population can't be proved but Scarce Chasers will travel some distance to mature. The two other chasers were also recorded, about half a dozen Four-spotteds and male and female Broad-bodied were seen. A couple of typically camera shy Hairy Dragonflies but in an appearance but did not land. While Alan had seen an Emperor just before I arrived I didn't manage to get a satisfactory view.

Male and female Broad-bodied Chaser.

I wasn't really looking for other nature  but did see a Hobby and several Sand Martins while other wildlife included a Brown Hare. It's not often that I report on matters botanical but a single Bee Orchid was found.

Bee Orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment