Thursday 14 May 2020

Been to Deene

My brief career as a paid nature spotter is due to end very soon as my period of furlough is about to finish and I have to go back to earning my living. In the mean time there are still a few days of freedom left and I used today to talk a walk over to Deene.

Lapwing and Red Kite.

One or two pairs of Lapwing were seen from Bears Lane as a passing Red Kite found to its cost when it strayed too close to their territory. An Orange-tip butterfly here was my first butterfly for a day or too. Not much else until I got to Deenethorpe airfield where an impressive total of 34 Small Heaths were counted. A tired looking Small Tortoiseshell and a couple of Green-veined Whites were also observed. Further pairs of Lapwing were present, perhaps as many as three and there was also a song  flighting Meadow Pipit.

Small Heath and Green-veined White.

Nothing of any interest was seen at Deene Lake inflow though there were two pairs of Shelduck on the main lake. Also seen was a pair of Egyptian Geese with one gosling, this is the first time that I know of them breeding here. Strangely no damsels or dragons were found either here or at Deenethorpe, I really thought that there would be at least a few on view. Strolling on there was a Muntjac and Brown Hare seen from Kirby Lane and nearby I saw another eight Small Heaths as well as a glimpse of a chaser dragonfly which was too quick to identify. Two Brown Argus butterflies were also present, tiny bundles of seemingly boundless energy that didn't land while I was there. A distant Cuckoo heard from here was probably the bird from Priors Hall.

Egyptian Geese and Dabchicks.

Weldon Industrial Estate was my next port of call and I visited the pond near the old speedway. One Large Red Damselfly was found but no other odes even though the site has potential. A pair of Dabchick had a chick which stayed in close attendance with one of the parents while the other was probably elsewhere enjoying some peace! My second song flighting Meadow Pipit of the day was also seen in the area. Nearby another Brown Hare leapt up almost from under my feet before speeding off into the distance. Nearer the steelworks a small patch of grass held two more Brown Argus, two Common Blues and a Small Heath. my final sightings of the day was another Large Red Damsel and a Small White.

Brown Argus and Common Blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment