Sunday 17 May 2020

It's Been A While

I was able to get a lift from someone in my household over to Barnwell CP for my first visit in several months. Today's weather was pretty good too so I had an enjoyable walk around both the park and along the river Nene.

Swallow and Brimstone.

A male Cuckoo was calling and for the first time this year I heard a female too, not sure what they would have been called if the species had been named after her call! Other birds noted on my walk were Cetti's Warbler and Kingfisher, no sign of any exotic falcons here.

Large White and Scarce Chaser.

Not too many butterflies were seen though in fairness I mainly concentrated on dragons and damsels today. Both Large and Green-veined Whites were observed and there were also a few Orange-tips. Looking a little tatty now though still very much alive were several Small Tortoiseshells, a Peacock and at least two male Brimstones.

Variable Damselflies.

Part of the reason for heading over to Barnwell was to catch up with my first Scarce Chasers of the year and I'm happy to say that they didn't disappoint. Four were seen in the park and another was seen along the river near to Lower Barnwell Lock. One Four-spotted Chaser was also found in the park where five Hairy Dragonflies continued to frustrate by not landing to have their pictures taken, another of these was also seen along the river. Best damselflies were five Variable Damselflies, I was hoping to confirm their presence here for another year and was delighted to be able to do so. Part of the process involved in finding them is to take a picture of any Azure Damselflies and hope for the best, today I had to take plenty of shots as the Azures proved to be rather numerous. Red-eyed Damselflies seem to have had a good emergence and many individuals were noted. Less common despite their name were Common Blue Damselflies, only three were found. Far more common with several hundred recorded were Banded Demoiselles and waterside nettles were alive with them. The other two species observed today taking my ode total up to ten were Blue-tailed and Large Red Damselflies.

Red-eyed and Common Blue Damselflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment