Sunday 21 October 2018

Indian Summer.

In complete contrast to last week's dross the weather has been lovely with blue skies and sunshine replacing the yucky grey and dampness. My walk today took me around Priors Hall where I enjoyed a pleasant if not too exciting experience.

Pond at Priors.

I began at the quarry lake where there was very little on view, a small flock of Teal were the highlight. Other Teal were seen around the ponds where a flock of about a dozen Mandarins were also found. Good numbers of Skylarks again today and I imagine that most were migrants. As has been the case recently they were joined on their travels by Meadow Pipits, some will no doubt hang around for the winter. The alders were host to rather a lot of Siskins and a decent number of Redpolls though the best birds were two Green Sandpipers flushed from one of the ponds.

Common Darter and Migrant Hawkers.

Plenty of Common Darters were around today with well over a hundred seen and there was plenty of mating activity noted. A pair of Migrant Hawkers were also seen in cop and several unattached males were also about. A female Brown Hawker was seen on several occasions but sadly did not hang around long enough to have her photo taken.

Red Admiral.

For the first time in a while there were some butterflies to enjoy and I managed to see three species. At Priors Hall I saw singles of Small Copper, Red Admiral and Brimstone though the latter did not stop for pics. Luckily for me I found a male at Weldon which proved to be far more obliging.

Small Copper and Brimstone.

Not too much of interest though a Brown Hare was as welcome as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment