Monday 13 January 2020

Still at Large

I popped over to Wicksteed Park this morning and was lucky enough to get there before the sunrise.  There was plenty of pleasant sunshine before clouds eventually took over and light rain showers became the order of the day.

Sunrise.

My early arrival meant that I beat the gulls to the park but eventually the squawking hoard did arrive, mostly Black-headeds with a few Common and Herrings. Duck numbers on the main lake seemed low though they did at least contain the best bird of the day amongst them in the shape of my site first Pintail. An immature drake was viewed distantly before then moving out of sight behind an island. Luckily I managed to catch up with him later achieving slightly better views as he enjoyed a nap in the company of some Teals and Shovellers. Mallards and Gadwalls were the commonest ducks though they were outnumbered by the many Coots.

Drake Pintail.

Away from the main lake there was little of note at the fishing lake and a walk along to the water meadow failed to produce any sightings of Stonechats. Things picked up when I heard and then saw a Ring-necked Parakeet which was presumably the same one from my last visit. It lead me on a bit of a song and dance as it flew amongst some conifers before settling briefly in an oak and allowing me to get a decent if brief view. As I mentioned last time it's difficult to know if this bird is a feral one or recently escaped but it doesn't act as if it's used to people.

Gulls and Coot.

Having left the park I had a quick look at the church to see whether any Peregrines were present, they weren't and I wonder if they're still using this site as a roost.

Ring-necked Parakeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment