Monday 20 January 2020

A Walk in the Sunshine

Back to Barnwell CP and Oundle again today where despite the best efforts of the tardy X4 I managed to arrive in time to catch the sunrise. It was a lovely day once again as blue skies and sunshine continued to be the order of the day happily helping to take my mind off the lack of interesting wildlife.

Sunrise along the Nene.

There were two Barnwell scarcities on site in the shape of a drake Wigeon and a Coot as well as the usual selection of species. Two cock Pheasants having a bit of a barney on neighbouring flooded fields provided the most entertainment as both otters and kingfishers were once again AWOL. After I'd spent a little bit of time in both hides hoping for something to turn up I decided to head off along the Nene.

Fighting Pheasants.

Flooded fields near the marina once again held good numbers of Lapwing with some attendant Black-headed Gulls while small parties of Meadow Pipits and Starlings were noted. There is still a lot of water in the fields next to the river but I just about managed to take my usual route without getting my socks wet. The A605 floods held a high numbers of Wigeons and a double figure count of Shoveller but nothing else. I scanned the margins for any waders but didn't manage to find any. Returning to the town I checked the church for any signs of Peregrines but again drew a blank. Sometimes it's just nice to get out, any time that's not spent working is time well spent!

Little and large, Blue Tit and Red Kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment