Sunday 5 January 2020

Giving It Some Welly

A change of scenery for me today as I made a belated return to Wellingborough where I enjoyed a walk along the Nene towards Ditchford. Having visited once last year I was curious to see what this very promising area had to offer.


Beginning at the Embankment where a large flock of Mute Swans were in residence I passed rather a lot of roughly vegetated areas that looked ideal for Stonechats. Passing a marshy field that held several Little Egrets I was tempted to have a bit of a wade around as it certainly looked like a good spot for Jack Snipe. Sadly I was aware that I had quite a walk ahead of me so any snipe flushing exercise would have to wait for another day.

Goldeneyes and Long-tailed Tit

The first lake that I passed held two pairs of Goldeneye as well as Wigeon but it was the next one that delivered most of today's goodies. For the second day running I saw a Great White Egret as one was hunting the margins of this lake. This elegant newcomer was soon eclipsed however by a sighting of three Cattle Egrets, an even more recent addition to the Northamptonshire birding scene. This trio were always flighty and never allowed a close approach but I did get a couple of record shots. Ducks present on the lake included Shoveller and Pochard.

Cattle Egrets

Ditchford couldn't quite match the excitement but a pair of Stonechats were as attractive as ever and there was also a large group of winter thrushes. I found an Egyptian Goose next to the watersports pit and then another five close to the viaduct. A good number of the larger gulls were also present as well as many Black-headeds and Commons but I couldn't find anything rarer in among them.

Great White Egret and Stonechat.

On my return walk one of the Cattle Egrets appeared to have moved on leaving an equally nervous duo. Good numbers of Meadow Pipits were present on the damp and muddy margins of the pools though these were outshone by a male Kingfisher near the weir. Arriving back in town to catch my bus I'd already resolved to pop back sooner rather than later!

Kingfisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment