Friday 11 May 2018

Return to Weldon.

Having had my VD confirmed I was itching to get back down to Weldon to see if I could find any more to go with the two already seen. Work was kind enough to let me have a day off and once I'd done a bit of gardening I set out for the stream once again.

The two Variables, the lower one the most clearly marked.

Walking along the bank it became clear that more Azure Damsels were on the wing and I saw (and photographed) over twenty of them. The pics were necessary as they provided a good way of checking I.D's. My plan worked and I found a further two examples of Variable Damsels amongst their commoner cousins. Now it would be rash of me to conclude that there is a colony of them here but it's beginning to raise the possibility of one. Potentially very exciting as this species is not known to breed in the modern county of Northants as the only ones are at Maxey near Peterborough which of course was stolen by Cambs. I'll be keeping a beady eye on proceedings over the next little while.

More views of Banded Demoiselles.

Four other species were noted sharing the nettles and two of these were new for the year. The new species were Red-eyed (3) and Blue-tailed (2). Banded Demoiselles were represented by five males and a female while there was also three Large Reds. Away from the damsels I noted several Green-veined Whites and at least two Orange-tips while the only bird of interest was a Grey Heron.

From the top, Azure, Red-eyed, Blue-tailed and Large Red.

Although it began to cloud over I popped into Southwood where a single Grizzled Skipper was a first for the year. Sadly it didn't hang around for a piccy but I did get my first good shots of Orange-tip this year. Other butterflies seen were a few more Green-veined Whites and a Speckled Wood. I couldn't find any birds of note but did see a few kites and buzzards.
Green-veined White and Orange-tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment