Saturday 19 May 2018

Chasing Chasers

Having seen the weather forecast I decided to book the day off and used my newly found liberty to head over to Oundle. With clear and cloudless skies I hoped to see some dragons, specifically Scarce Chasers and I was not to be disappointed.
A beautiful morning.

Beginning at the north bridge I took the path along the Nene and it did not take long before I saw my first damsels in the always lovely shape of Banded Demoiselles. Many looked as if they had emerged this morning and had taken to hiding in the riverside nettles. Birding was not totally neglected and a flypast by a couple of drake Mandarins was welcome. As the morning progressed other species of damsels were noted with Red-eyed in particular showing well. A few Blue-tailed also put in an appearance with the first being noted near Ashton Lock.


Scarce and Four-spotted Chaser.

A little beyond Ashton Mill I had my first Scarce Chaser of the year when one fluttered weakly from riverside vegetation before settling on some grass. A further three were seen on my walk and I suspect all of them emerged this morning. Somewhat further along the river I finally managed to get a photograph of a Hairy Dragonfly after several years of trying. Thankfully the shiny wings of this one drew my attention and it seemed quite content to sit still.

My first pic of Hairy Dragonfly and Red-eyed Damsels.

The A605 floods had a pair of Shelducks and several of the commoner dabblers while a Grasshopper Warbler was singing from the scrubby field. Plenty of Reed Warblers singing too and it was probably them that had attracted a Cuckoo which was no doubt hoping to find a host. Around the Princess fishing lake near the marina I found two Four-spotted Chasers while there was also an Egyptian Goose.
Banded Demoiselle and Azure Damsels.

Barnwell CP was not surprisingly rather busy as many seemed to seek a way of avoiding that wedding but it didn't stop me having a look around. Only Azure and Large Red were new for the day list but I saw many more Hairies and Four-spots.

Blue-tailed Damsel and Oundle view.

Butterflies were a little on the scarce side though I did get my first pictures of Large White for the year and also my first Small Torty for quite a while. Other species seen were Green-veined White, Orange-tip, Peacock and Speckled Wood. Having finished my walk around the park I headed off for a refreshing pint or two in the town.

Reed Warbler and Large White.

No comments:

Post a Comment