Wednesday 8 May 2024

After Work Insect Watching

 A nice sunny afternoon saw me taking a post work bus trip along to Weldon where I spent an agreeable few hours wandering around. Not much in the way of birds to report other than a Reed Warbler at the pond in the Woodland Park but in all honesty it really didn't bother me that much. There was an OK selection of insects to watch and that was more than enough to keep me occupied.

Brimstone and Azure Damselfly.



I began along the stream where there were more than a few teneral Azures joining some more mature specimens as well as a single Blue-tailed. Around the pond I noted a couple of Large Reds but not much else. Butterflies included several male Brimstones, a few Orange-tips and a G-v White or two. The neighbouring Woodland Park added a Banded Demoiselle to my list while several Holly Blues were also noted. I'd only seen two Hollies so far this year before my visit today so to see about eight this afternoon was very welcome.

Large Red Damselfly and Banded Demoiselle



At the pocket park a chaser dragonfly was seen briefly before it headed off into the trees, this is normally a good spot for Broad-bodieds but I wouldn't want to claim anything on the strength of this sighting. A Comma and several Peacocks were new additions to my day list, I also saw half a dozen more Banded Demoiselles. The evening was beginning to draw on when I made my way to the George to meet up with my wife for a spot of dinner. It was good enough to almost forgive the morons at Stagecoach for cancelling our bus and making us shell out almost a tenner on a taxi - almost but not quite!

Holly Blue and Comma



No comments:

Post a Comment