Saturday 4 May 2024

First Dragon

 This morning I kicked off the bank holiday weekend by catching the bus over to Oundle and taking a stroll along the Nene before heading to Barnwell CP. Sunshine and warmth were the welcome conditions that greeted me on arrival as I made my way to the floods near Lower Barnwell Lock. I'd hoped to see a few passage waders but had to settle instead for a pair of Oystercatchers as well as an immature Great White Egret. The Oycs were given cause for concern by a passing immature Peregrine but that was the only bit of excitement here. Birds might have been a bit underwhelming but good numbers of Banded Demoiselles in nettlebeds along the river were my first of the year.

Whitethroat and Great White Egret



A calling Cuckoo at Barnwell CP was the best bird at Barnwell CP where Sand Martins and Garden Warbler were also noted. Odes provided most of the entertainment, the warmer conditions seem to have worked their magic bringing out a selection of species. Aside from the demoiselles there were two Hairy Dragonflies on site though I didn't manage to grab any shots. My year list was boosted by sightings of Variable, Azure and Blue-tailed Damselflies and there were also three Large Reds in the park too. Butterflies on the wing in the general area included Small Tortoiseshells and Orange-tips.

Dingy Skipper and Orange-tip



After a shortish bus ride I found myself in Weldon from where I walked to Priors Hall. At the quarry lake there were plenty of Sand Martins as well as at least one Great Crested Grebe. I didn't see any new species of odes here but there seemed to be a good emergence of Azure Damselflies while a camera shy Hairy Dragonfly was also seen. Insect highlight here was my first Dingy Skipper of the year which posed briefly for pics before moving on. Other butterflies included Brimstone and Peacock. I didn't hang around for too long as I had a dinner with my wife booked and wanted to get back in good time.


Damsels





No comments:

Post a Comment