Sunday 25 February 2024

Siskins On The Move

 I only had a couple of hours to play with this morning due to other commitments which meant that I stayed rather local. My destination of choice was Brookfield Plantation where I hoped the sunny conditions might bring out a few early butterflies. I did not manage to catch up with any butts and nor did I see any Crossbills either which I'd also hoped to encounter.

Peregrines



It was lucky for me that my local Peregrines showed well otherwise the day would have been something of a bust.  Both birds though distant showed quite well in the bins and I enjoyed decent views of both before the male bird chose to fly off. Although the plantation itself was pretty quiet I did at one point find myself surrounded by a large flock of Siskins with smaller numbers of Redpolls mixed in with them. For ten minutes I enjoyed both the sounds and the sights of the flock before a pair of Sparrowhawks arrived causing the finches to flee. Somewhat later on I encountered more Siskins near the power station where a large flock settled briefly before moving on again. My return walk through Willowbrook Industrial Estate did not add anything else to my list.

Siskins



 A little later on in the afternoon I was pleased to find a large flock of Pied Wagtails in Corby Town Centre. My wife and I having enjoyed a meal found the birds gathering in Corporation Street as we strolled towards the taxi rank, presumably the wagtails were gathering together prior to roosting.

One of many dipterid flies enjoying the sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment