Sunday 18 February 2024

Stonechats To The Fore

 I tried to make up for yesterday's county treachery by staying as local as possible. My journey began in the rain as I waited for the X4 to take me to Weldon and indeed it continued to rain until late morning. Once I'd got off in Weldon I set off along the A427 as far as Deenethorpe Airfield where waterlogged and muddy conditions set the tone for the rest of the day.

A flooded Deene Lake and Egyptian Geese



Three Snipe were inadvertently flushed as I wandered along and a distant Stonechat was also noted. The inflow at Deene Lake was awash and there was no sign of any Green Sandpipers today while Teal numbers were very low. On the main lake there were at least four Shelduck and two Egyptian Geese as well as a trio of Black Swans. High water levels restricted my access here and I could not move as freely as I would have liked but I did manage to see a large flock of fifty plus Siskins.

Lapwings and Linnet



My return walk over the airfield produced views of a flock of Lapwings and plenty of singing Skylarks but little else other than a Brown Hare. I headed off across the fields as I squelched my way towards Harry's Park Wood where I did not find anything of interest. The walk along Bears Lane was a tad more productive as I found a pair of Stonechats half way along the road. Things are beginning to get a little stale now and I'm looking forward to March when I hope bird movements might add something more interesting to the pot. I wonder what the month will bring - Avocets? Kittiwakes? or perhaps a Black Redstart? To be honest I'll be glad to catch up with the first returning migrants, not much beats a fresh male Wheatear!

Stonechats



No comments:

Post a Comment