Sunday 9 July 2023

That Was Good!

 It's Highland Gathering time again here in the village and my tolerance for bagpipes remains very low which meant making an escape on the X4 seemed like a very good idea indeed. My trip was not a long one however as I only headed off as far as Weldon before walking to Harry's Park Wood. Wall to wall clouds did little to suggest that the butterflies would be performing but I carried on nonetheless.

Barn Owl and Ringlet



At Bears Lane a surprise Barn Owl was my first here but I could only grab a rubbishy record shot before it disappeared through a hedge. Although lots of Ringlets were flitting about there was little else braving the conditions and I struggled at first. Gradually a few Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns began to emerge, an occasional glimpse of a pallid sun through the clouds suggested that things might begin to improve. As the morning gradually warmed my list began to grow and Green-veined, Small and Large Whites joined the browns on the wing.


Purple Hairstreak, Clouded Yellow and Painted Lady



Round about noonish the sun came out and it didn't take long for butterflies to respond. Large Skippers began to whizz around and I also saw a few Purple Hairstreaks. Plenty of Red Admirals were basking on the paths while Commas continue to show in good numbers. A Purple Emperor teased as it flew up from the path but annoyingly didn't return, similarly two Silver-washed Fritillaries zoomed past without stopping. There are increasing signs that some immigration is underway, a half a dozen pristine Painted Ladies were noted but it was a single Clouded Yellow that seemed to confirm this.

Brimstone, Holly Blue and Purple Emperor




As I began my walk back through the wood I thought that I'd already enjoyed a good enough day but things hadn't quite finished yet. A site first Marbled White flitted by, a year first Small Copper hung around for a bit longer. Some newly emerged Brimstones were seen nectaring on thistles, this will be the generation that will hibernate. Also freshly out was a splendid looking male Holly Blue near the entrance but it was overshadowed by a male Purple Emperor which posed for a few pics. He was eventually flushed by a cyclist but not before I got some good views. There were some good looking specimens of Small Tortoiseshells and numbers are growing as the new brood continues to emerge. An excellent day overall then with an impressive total of twenty species making it on to the list and in good numbers too. Not much else to report other than a few dragons with Common and Ruddy Darters, a Brown Hawker and several Emperors being seen.


Small Copper, Ruddy and Common Darters






No comments:

Post a Comment