Sunday 16 July 2023

Frampton Again

 Alan Shorrock and I took a trip over to Frampton Marsh today, an unpromising weather forecast had ruled out any insect watching closer to home. We had hoped to catch up with the nesting Black-winged Stilts, I'd already seen them here but it was Alan's first go. Our efforts to see the stilts were more successful than our attempts to avoid the rain!

Pink-footed Goose and Spoonbills



We began at the visitor centre where a small selection of waders were overshadowed to some extent by a few Spoonbills dotted around the lake. A short distance from the centre was an unseasonal Pink-footed Goose, it was nice to see one without having to endure winter chills in the process. Our next stop was the 360 hide from where a large number of Avocets were noted. Not too far away an adult and a juvenile Black-winged Stilt showed fairly well, they were seen several more times during our walk. I couldn't convince myself that I'd seen the reported drake American Wigeon from East Hide but I was happy with a Mediterranean Gull that was on one of the islands. More than five Spotted Redshanks were present on the reserve but there appeared to be few other passage waders on the reserve today.

Black-winged Stilts.



Having left the hide we then set out for the sea wall though by now some rain had begun to fall. It got progressively heavier as we strolled and by the time we had walked along the bank both of us were thoroughly drenched. It's been some time since I got such a soaking and between you and me I'd be happy if it's even longer until the next one! A Sandwich Tern was the only bird of note but by this time my enthusiasm had waned and I was grateful to get back to the car.

Waders





No comments:

Post a Comment