Sunday 2 July 2023

Back To Harry's Park

 It that time of the year when butterflies are very much at the forefront of my attention and for that reason I returned once more to Harry's Park Wood near Weldon. Although the weather was far from great, too much cloud for my liking!, I still had a good wander around the site. With the two pound single fares continuing on the X4 for the time being at least it made sense to catch the bus to Weldon before completing my walk to Bears Lane.

Gatekeeper, Small Heath and Small White




Along the lane a decent selection of butterflies were noted, the more usual suspects of Meadow Browns and Ringlets were joined by Gatekeepers and a site scarcity Small Heath. Lots of Small Whites were on the wing with lesser numbers of Large Whites and there were a few Large Skippers too. On reaching the woods I was treated to good views of White Admiral as it nectared on bramble blossom, several more were seen during my walk. A first for the year Purple Hairstreak was seen but not photographed as it battled blustery conditions, a couple of Green-veined Whites wisely chose to sit the breeze out.

White Admiral, Black Hairstreak and Small Skipper




Continuing my walk saw me accumulating more species as I wandered, another Comma aberration was one of the highlights and so too was a wood rarity Small Skipper. With the ride widening work that's been on going here for the last couple of years I suspect more grassland species will find their way into the wood. One bizarre moment during my stroll was watching a Black Hairstreak seemingly fall off a bramble flower as it nectared, whether it was drunk or died I can't say! Other butterflies noted in the wood today were Red Admiral and Speckled Wood, it's a shame that I couldn't find any Purple Emperors or Frits but there's always another day. Not much else to report here other than a few Emperor dragonflies and my first county Ruddy Darter of the year.

Comma aberration? Ringlet and Green-veined White




My stroll back along Bears Lane added a pristine looking Small Tortoiseshell to the list taking my total to sixteen for the day. I also enjoyed further views of Gatekeepers and a horde of Small Whites while a few Azure and Common Blue damselflies represented the odes.

Small Tortie, Ruddy Darter and Yellowhammer.




No comments:

Post a Comment