Sunday 14 February 2021

Still Chilly

 While today was a tad less cold than the previous few days it was still cold and bitterly so in the wind. Hopefully the milder conditions promised by the weather forecasters will kick in tonight, I'm sure that much of the local wildlife would appreciate it as much as I would! Today I took the familiar route along to Deene and enjoyed an OK if not spectacular day's birding.

Kirby Hall and Wood Pigeons.



My walk took me past the steelworks where a small flock of Siskins were noted. Very little was on view at Willowbrook Industrial Estate other than a Grey Wagtail, neither Fallow Deer nor Ringed Plover had hung around. Kirby Lane was quiet too apart from several very large flocks of Wood Pigeon and it wasn't until I reached Deene that I saw a few interesting bits and bobs.

Frozen conditions at Deene.



At the farm ponds there was a small amount of open water where a couple of Dabchicks were feeding. A Snipe was flushed up from a boggy patch that was being fed by running water. On the main lake Shelduck numbers had increased to at least eighteen birds as they build towards their spring peak. I checked a large flock of Greylags feeding in the monument field though couldn't find anything other than a couple of Canadas amongst them. At the inflow a Green Sandpiper was the highlight and was my eighth species of wader in as many days. In nearby Deenethorpe village a good sized flock of Fieldfares had been drawn to a crop of large purple berries, earlier I'd seen a good number feeding on fallen apples in Deene.

Northamptonshire's capital of cold, Deenethorpe Airfield and Stonechats.



Deenethorpe airfield was as bitterly cold as I had dreaded with the wind whistling across. Only a single Red Kite was prepared to brave the conditions until I reached the airfield buildings where the scant shelter they provided proved attractive to a pair of Stonechats. Also noted in this area were four Snipe which flew up zig-zagging from an area of frozen looking ground. By now a few spits and spots of rain were beginning to fall so having put my camera away I chose to walk along the A427 rather than tackle the rutted public footpaths across the fields. I'm glad that I did too as I was able to watch a Raven displaying over Weldon Park Wood, a pleasingly appropriate way to end my Valentine's Day birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment