Monday 1 February 2021

Essential Viewing?

 Reports of a White-tailed Eagle in the county certainly had me wondering whether to scrounge a lift from someone in my household and go and have a peek. Taking a little time to consider if this counted as essential travel or not persuaded me that it was not and instead I stayed closer to home. Happily it was a released bird from the Isle of Wight reintroduction scheme and not a truly wild one so my decision was perhaps a little easier than it might have been!

Fallow Deer



Instead of eagle watching I opted instead to take one of my regular lockdown walks to Deene Lake. While the day started off rather grey and murky it did perk up a little later when the sun came out. While passing through Willowbrook Industrial Estate my attention was drawn to a herd of Fallow Deer grazing near the old Rockingham Speedway. What drew my eye were the two white individuals and an attractive ginger looking one feeding with the more usual coloured ones. I became a deer dude for a while as I enjoyed watching the herd moving slowly towards cover. Not too many birds were about to distract me with just a Grey Wagtail and a Redpoll to compete with the deer.

Black Swan and Egyptian Geese



A Raven over Kirby Lane was the next highlight in a day when highlights were at a premium. Deene Lake held no surprises and neither the Kingfisher or Stonechat were on duty today. A pair of Egyptian Geese and a Black Swan were as wild if not as interesting as that eagle while Shelduck numbers remained stable at nine. Very little else of note during the rest of my walk except for a Brown Hare at an otherwise quiet Deenethorpe Airfield.

Grey Heron


No comments:

Post a Comment