Saturday 21 November 2020

Tickled Pink

 For much of today it looked as if I would have little to report again and would effectively being polishing a Dame Thora when it came to writing this blog. Happily an unexpected intervention by a passing skein of honkers means I can put the polish away for another day!


Peregrine and Kestrel.


Things began promisingly enough with the sighting of a Peregrine at one of their favourite spots but then settled down into familiar territory. Brookfield Plantation was fairly quiet with just a few Siskins and a large mixed flock on view. The fields around Gretton held large numbers of Fieldfares in particular as well as familiar open country species such as Linnets and Skylarks. Harringworth Lodge Lake held only a Moorhen and a young Cormorant and I was beginning to think that I should have stayed at home. As I was turning to go a familiar noise in an unfamiliar location announced the arrival of a large flock (50 - 55) Pink-footed Geese flying over in a north westerly direction. Grabbing a few record shots to of my first ever Northants sighting I watched them fly on in the direction of Gretton. It's safe to say that these were definitely the highlight for today.



Pink-footed Geese.


The return journey was predictably something of an anti climax as I retraced my steps without adding any other sightings of note. 

House Sparrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment